Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I am not Dead…

...just been busy.  I have been doing a lot of research on how it is that I am going to pull off my vision for this ministry.  On the surface the plan seems so simple.  Build a few homes invite some families in crisis to live in the m for 3-4 months while we help them sort out their lives and then continue working with them for a year to ensure they are on their way.  Researching this seems to make it seem more difficult to do.  I am sure it is just the overwhelming amount of data I am looking at.

I have looked a t a number of things and have come to the conclusion that this is going to cost quite a bit of money up front.  I refuse to build on credit so each place will have to be completely paid for before it is built. Based upon my research I am looking at a building cost of 2 to 2.5 million dollars. This is if I can not get donated materials and labor. I do not want to count on these things but it will be the icing on the cake if it can happen.  I also require permanent structures for all of the buildings so the idea of buying some land and hauling in a bunch of trailers is out of the idea.  The other thing is that the place has to be built in a way that that will reduce operational costs, which generally drives up initial costs.  One of the things I have settled on is a basic construction type.  I am looking at post and beam straw bale construction.  The benefits far outweigh the initial costs and provide a superior structure to typical wood framing. this is just one of the many things I am researching. I am looking at water systems, power generation, and a slew of other things. I still have a lot to learn on this journey, but it is exciting.  Please pray that I do not get bogged down in the details.

4 comments:

heidi said...

We will pray. Sounds like the Lord is giving you good direction and placing His heart for excellence in you.

Don't forget to breathe!

Joelle said...

I've always thought straw bale houses were nifty. And when God is the one providing, He can handle 2.5 million as easy as $2500. :)
I'll be praying.

jimmiewkersh said...

Eaglewood,
I am going to let you know that you are barking up the right trees. There are FOUNDATIONS that will give grants for this type of project. You will also qualify for government grants as well. Write up your plan and ideas, put together your budget and space requirements and I will be sending you some info on where to find "real" grant information, not Lesko stuff.

On the government stuff, you will actually do pretty well. Also, TEXAS has a state government surplus section that will allow you to get materials from them. DO not forget to use volunteer organizations like Campers on Mission and the Baptist Men of Texas, both of these orgs will give you volunteer labor if it is asked for in advance.

You will also want to look into an ICF product called BuildbBlock. This is a great product that is long lasting and extremely cost effective and effecient. You may also want to use geothermal heating and cooling, it is more expensive up front, but the utility savings for thirty years pays for it about twenty times over. Also if you are going to be in an area that has a wind rating of 3 or more, you may want to look into a few windmills. Right now, with the concept you are considering, you will actually be able to get some great financial help from FOUNDATIONS as well as the state and federal governments.

Triton said...

I just hope it all works out, man.