This has been a very enlightening discussion and has led me to do some more research into the question of debt. Here is what I have found. In of itself debt is not a sin, but it is a form of servanthood. Being in debt is not a desired state for the believer. Now Triton and Geppy have pointed out that short-term debt (defined as 30 days or less) can be used a method of budgeting. I can see their point, but I think that proper budgeting can prevent the need for ever having to use short term debt. I digress, as this is not what I am writing about.
My point has more to do with my calling. If I am a servant of the Most High G_d, and I preach a message of freedom in Him is it not hypocritical of me to turn around and sell as a lifestyle of financial servitude? Face it, credit card companies do not make money when people pay off their credit cards each month. The idea is to keep the customer in a continuous cycle of debt.
2 comments:
eaglewood,
I did speak from an end-user perspective, and as you stated in this post the short-term debt is not of itself evil. Though, from the Law I would argue that the Creator speaks to and allows a longer term cycle of debt that is part of a system that forgives that debt after a period of time.
That said, the modern day credit system is not a system that forgives debt. I personally would not push credit on anyone. It is one thing for me to use the system to my own benefit. It is another thing for me to push that credit on others to their own detriment.
I wish that we still had a method of credit as defined in the Law, as it would lead to a better society.
Peace.
I really feel like this comes down to your own convictions. For one person it could very well be a sin to push credit cards on another. ( I don't think I could do it in good conscience.) but to another, it is not. it sounds to me like your conscience is screaming "don't do it." I think you best bet is to not do it.
Post a Comment