Wednesday, June 6, 2007

On Legalism




For making
the suggestion that the student in question in the previous post could have
been a much better witness going through proper channels I have been accused of
being legalistic. How, pray tell, is that the case?  It seem that I get accused of hauling out the
blinders of legalism every time I even suggest that there may be a better way
of doing things, or that something that is held up as good and righteous may
not be what it is made out to be. My friends that is not legalism in any way
shape or form. Legalism is the practice of making salvation based upon the
works that you do. I abhor this. It is not biblical and is not why Yeshua came.
The fact is that churches that practice legalism do more to hurt the church
than they do to bring people to Yeshua. Salvation is by grace alone, once you
have accepted YeshuaĆ¢€™s gift you can never loose it.





 
The fact of
the matter is that our salvation is more than simply fire insurance. Salvation
is the death of our self and the beginning of a new life in Him. We are saved
unto works not by our works. Once we have given our life to Yeshua we are to
keep His commandments, this was how He said we would show our love for Him.
Does this mean that somehow we loose our love for Him or that we loose our
salvation if we fail? Even the suggestion of such a thing is absurd. It simply
is a point in our lives to learn. We pick ourselves up, sometimes with the help
of friends, dust ourselves off, ask forgiveness and continue on in our walk
with Him.  The Bible refers to this
process as the working out of our salvation.  
We should always be looking for ways to improve our relationship with
Him. Sometimes that information will come from our brethren. Iron sharpening
iron is the phrase that comes to mind. Yet sometimes I get the feeling we are
never to say anything to a brother concerning his walk. That would be judgmental,
intolerant, or just plain unloving. I ask this one last question. What is more
loving, warning someone before they fall off the cliff or letting them continue
on their way even though we know there are sharp rocks at the bottom?



 

5 comments:

Geppy said...

Wow. I am not sure I get where this came from. The comments to the last post all seemed friendly and providing the feedback that you asked for. I don't think I read anything negative in the posts; certainly nothing calling you legalistic.

Truth is, I think all the people that posted comments to your question are basically in agreement with you.

Peace.
Geppy

eaglewood said...

Geppy,

The boy in question was first mentioned over at Pebble Chaser's. It was over there that the charges were leveled. It is not the first time either, just the time that got me to write about it. As it would have further hijacked the original post I felt it was best to post it on my blog.

Jimmie W. Kersh said...

Eglewood,

I posted a few minutes ago on the last past. Maybe it is time for those who are committed to being holy, to separate ourselves from those who are willing to spiritually compromise with the world.

I hate saying that some are more holy than others, because it could bering up charges of legalism or pharisism. In all reality, I am convinced that I care only about those who I am accountable to spiritually, my local community of faith.

As you can I am about tired of sissy Christians. I am not for militant Christianity, but Biblical Christianity speaks and preaches the Word of God, unashamed and uncompormised. With that said, go get 'em, use those talons for what they were created for, go kill prey!

MikeT said...

I need some good Christian opinions on this if no one minds.

Roland said...

I will answer your question, Eaglewood, with a 'Tell him.'
But I will point out how it's more like the;
If you go out in the rain you could catch a cold which could turn into pneumonia and you'll linger in the hospital a few months and die!
It's not bad to warn others of dangers. But sometimes we tend to make worst case scenarios. IF we end up doing that, then we need to remember that encouragement isn't "Look out for (insert problem here)!" It IS, "Nasty tumble there. Need help?"

There is always a better way of doing things. How come you get so up in arms when I suggest one?
And how is that different than others doing that when you suggest something?
I think that at times we end up getting heated over an issue because we are looking at it from different angles. It doesn't make one better than another. Except when we think another should have done it differently. Maybe they could have. Maybe not. Armchair quarterbacking can be useful, but it isn't as good as playing the game.

I like your opinions.
They remind me of myself in some ways.
And I fight myself every day.
Sometimes I win.
Other times God wins.
When I'm doing it as best as I'M able.
We both win.
How awesome is that.