1 John
5:16-1716
If anyone sees his brother commit a sin that does not lead to death,
he should pray and God will give him life. I refer to those whose sin
does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not
saying that he should pray about that.17
All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death.NIV
16 If
any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall
ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death.
There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.17 All
unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.KJV
16 If
anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he
shall ask and God will for him give life to those who commit sin not
leading to death There is a sin leading to death; I do not say that
he should make request for this.17 All
unrighteousness is sin, and there is a sin not leading to death.NASB
My daughter presented this to me in
our nightly Bible discussion. I was stumped. If the wages of sin is
death, what sin is not unto death? Any help out there my friends?
10 comments:
Try this article. www.lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVarticles/ASinLeadingtoDeath.htm
Well,
A mighty fine mess comes when English is used instead of Greek. The Greek in this case is as tricky as the English so we are all doomed to hell, the end!
The usage in anchient Greek is more geared toward doing things against the law, not Hebrew Law, but Greek or Roman law. If your brother is not paying their taxes or loitering in the streets or building their house too close to the easement, then they are "missing the mark." These sins to not lead to death.
I speed sometimes when I drive. Yes, I speed. Is it a sin? Yes it is a sin even when I do not get caught. Does this sin lead to death? Not in and of itself it does not. My wife prays for me on long trips that I would not speed. She does not pray that I will not get caught, she prayes that I will not sin.
I read the item from Geppy and it is a good article. It does not take into account the original intent of the author or the original understanding of the original hearer and their understanding of anchient Greek, but it was a good article.
If it is a spiritual sin and not a corporal sin, then it has to lead to death and we are all doomed to hell. The old nature would gaurantee that in us.
But unless we stray into that which is not intended from the original text, it is necessary to understand that there is a difference in spiritual and corporal sin. The example would thus be: putting an American flag up in your front yard when your home owner covenants and restrictions forbid it and killing the head of the homeowners association for not allowing you to put up your American flag in your front yard.
Ok, I read a few online commentaries for that verse, and the one that seems the best to me is this one.
It's a difficult verse, to be sure.
For the believer there is NO sin that leads to death. IF we repent and trust Jesus, we are forgiven our sins past, present and future. the only unforgivable sin is dying in unbelief. hmmmm... I'm not sure I'm making any sense....
Perfect sense, Timm.
Comment removed by site owner due to personal nature of the comment. Philip I will reply to you using the e-mail address that you left with this comment.
Above was me.
AJW308
Triton, thanks. That cleared it up for me. Thanks.
You're welcome, AJW308. Always glad to help.
The sin that is not unto death is the sin that is put under the blood, by confession, repentance, and faith in the promise of God that, "whosever beleiveth in Him, should not perish but have everlasting life." Confession and repentance involve turning away from that sin, not continuing in it.
Post a Comment