Friday, December 7, 2007

Sometimes, I Do Not Understand Christians


This is something that has bothered me for some time. Why are we so willing to throw other followers of Yeshua under the bus when they do not agree with our preconceived notions? Music is one of those areas that just boggles my mind. That is combined with our notions of how Yeshua's love for us is perceived. The other day Birdie sent me a link to an article by a guy who thought that modern music was essentially no different than effeminate secular love songs. To assert his point he took singular lines from three Christian songs and three secular songs and asked if we could tell the difference. Of course you could not, they were handpicked to make his point. This kind of selective tearing down really bothers me. Why do we do it?


He seemed to look at His love through one lens. I think that if you look at His Word you will find that there are many facets to His love. I think that some are opening their eyes to that and singing and talking about it. Others see it as heresy, because it challenges their preconceptions. I think we need to open our hearts and minds to see that His love is far greater than what we could ever truly understand. So why do we limit Him?

10 comments:

Roland said...

Good question.
How come we can't see the love that the 'secular' artists are singing about is often influenced by Him? Some of them won't admit it, but it's so obvious sometimes.

Triton said...

Well, I would agree that most modern Christian music is essentially soft rock, musically speaking, and it's not something I like. I certainly don't go around berating anyone who enjoys it, though. If you like Michael W. Smith, and his stuff encourages you or whatever, then by all means keep listening to it.

We all have our own tastes. When it comes to Christian music, I prefer bluegrass gospel. But to each his own.

(By the way, I knew a Catholic once who joked, "Christian music? Yeah, I listen to U2.")

jimmiewkersh said...

Because the wheels on the bus go round and round, and most Christians put God in the square box of their brain.

Timm said...

Let me guess, Todd Friel?

Todd Friel is the host of a nationally syndicated Radio show called Way of the Master Radio and he discusses this topic on a fairly regular basis. His issue is not that those are not aspects of God, but rather that self proclaiming "Christian" Bands basically diminish God down to the level of a girlfriend or boyfriend. It reality, God is so much bigger than that. He's never told anyone they shouldn't listen to it. He just doesn't think that they give God the respect and reverence that He deserves.

From the article that I'm assuming you are talking about:
"Is there anything wrong with being reminded that our God is our help from ages past? Of course not, the Psalms are loaded with promises of God’s comfort. But unlike the Psalms (and theology based hymns), contemporary music is void of the reason why we should not worry. We do not worry because someone purrs that we shouldn’t fret, but because God is our shelter in the stormy blast and our eternal home. Our comfort comes from knowledge, not caterwauling"

See, he doesn't like the music because it doesn't go any deeper than your every day Celine Deone song. Most of these artists will never even mention Sin or Salvation.

All that being said, I do think there is a place for this music. I don't feel nearly as convicted about this topic as Todd Friel apparently does. The music in and of itself is not sinful or promoting sin, so I say listen away, (if that's your thing.) I also understand Todd Friel's pet peeve and I get where he's coming from.

eaglewood said...

Timm,

That seemed to be the jist of his argument. If I can find the article I will confirm if it is indeed Mr Friel. My problem is the lumping in of all kinds of contomporary music as bad. I will agree there are artists out there that are quite shallow out there. If he wants to make a specific argument concerning a particular group then fine we can have that discussion. I might even agree with him. But not all artisits are devoid of good content. I think that people still want to put G_d in a box that is comfortable for them. I have been guilty a number of times.

The thing is that throughout time there have been good composers and bad ones. To make the simplistic argument that music from one era is not good because of some artists that are not up to par is closed minded.

Timm said...

After reading the article a second time, I can see where someone might think he is saying that all contemporary Christian music is no good, but I assure you, that is not his position.

You are right though. A genre of music can not be judged by a few artists.

On a side note, I'm a little upset with your Cowboys. (I'm a Lions fan.)

Roland said...

Thanks Timm. It helps me better understand Mr. Friel. And why I dislike his approach.

And I can't believe the Lions lost. They had a good lead. Did the Cowboys beat them, or did they beat themselves?

Timm said...

They would have beat the Boys if Paris Lenon would learn to fall on the ball instead of trying to pick it up and run with it. But Alas, I'll give the Boys credit, they beat them.

Triton said...

Could be worse, guys. You could be a Falcons fan like me.

Roland said...

You could be a Dolphins fan.