Friday, December 14, 2007

Sports Good, Bad, and Ugly


I have not written much about sports lately. Quite frankly much of it has been boring. But here are some of my thoughts:


 GOOD


The Cowboys are something else. It is becoming quite clear that in the NFC the path to the Super Bowl is going through Dallas once again. Romo is one of the most exciting players I have seen in a very long time, and his supporting cast is top notch. To top that off it looks like Glenn will be back for the playoffs. With his speed and Owens physical dominance we are going to have quite a dominant receiving core.


BAD


The Atlanta Falcons have fallen apart. I would have said at the seams but they don’t have any left. While their position as my bad team in Pablo’s football pool (sorry Triton) is good for me it brings me to the real bad part of the bad. Their coach has left to lead my beloved Razorbacks. One sports writer called him the "Disingenuous Drifter". We have replaced one coach with an honesty problem with another. What blue chip star athlete is going to want to play for him when he has a bunch of other better more honest choices?


UGLY


The steroid mess in Major League Baseball. This makes me glad that I could care less about the MLB. As a sport it is going down the tubes. They had many opportunities to get their ship righted yet continued to deny that it was even listing in the first place. Now they are on the verge of capsizing and I think the average sports fan could care less. Good riddance.

2 comments:

Triton said...

While their position as my bad team in Pablo’s football pool (sorry Triton) is good for me

Hey, if you can take advantage of the team's implosion, then more power to ya. At least someone's benefiting.

This makes me glad that I could care less about the MLB.

Right there with ya, pal. I used to be a Braves fan back in the day. Then the strike happened, led by our very own Tom Glavine, and my appreciation for MLB cooled off considerably. Then the ticket prices kept going up and the team kept fizzling out in the post-season, and I decided I'd had enough. The only baseball I watch now is college ball.

Anyway, best of luck to the Cowboys. My team is decomposing, so I might as well root for my friends' teams.

Jimmie W. Kersh said...

Eaglewood,

The coach is now called BP by those who like him. There is a lot you may not have read about him coming to Arkansas. What you hear on ESPN is mostly bad because of their tie in with Home Depot, Which the owner of the Falcons was CEO until recently.

The good news is he left with the apparent understanding that the owner did not mind two weeks before. BP had a verbal agreement that he would not have a buyout to go back to the college ranks at anytime. The Falcons owner got ticked because he went back to college after the Michael Vick thing tearing up the team.

We have already picked up a MAJOR D1 QB and another is considering transfering to AR for the following seasons. BP has said he will be here for a while. I think he will be here for about 3 - 4 years, just enough to get us respectable again. If he stays 5 - 6 years, we may be playing in a major BCS bowl, the major BCS bowl.

I think he will do great. This actually was a great hire, so do not dread.