Sunday, February 17, 2008

Firstborn

Since
Cowboy responded to my last post I have been in prayer concerning my
response to Him, especially in light of his comments over at Heidi's.
He left me with the following verse to back up his claim:


For
those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to
the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many
brethren;


Romans
8:29 NASB


The
point in question has to do with just what firstborn among many
means.





On this,
you're simply mistaken and it's the reason I pointed it out in my
blog post the way I did. You can find the evidence in Romans 8:29,
for one.


The verse you
quoted was him speaking before he was resurrected. He most certainly
was the only begotten son then. Now he's the
first
born
among
many

because he came to make the way for us to follow him.


That's what
the born-again experience is about. It's also why I pick these nits
with you. These are silly religious ideas. This very misunderstanding
plays into things I read in this post and your comments at my place
that disturb me.


I'm not a mere mortal and neither are you, as just one example.


Digital
Cowboy


Based upon
what he wrote you can make what conclusion you want, but I am quite
sure Cowboy has taken "firstborn" to mean a chronological order
of birth. I do believe I can show that simply by using the Word that
Cowboy is the one who is mistaken.


First we go
to Colossians:



13 For He rescued us from the domain
of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, 14
in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. 15 He is the
image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.
16 For
by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth,
visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or
authorities--all things have been created through Him and for Him. 17
He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. 18 He
is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the
firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first
place in everything.
19 For it was the Father's good pleasure for
all the fullness to dwell in Him, 20 and through Him to reconcile all
things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross;
through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven.

Colossians
1: 13-20 NASB





Putting
things in context shows that in this case the title firstborn has to
do with preeminence not with order of birth, the same can be said for
Romans 8:29.



15 For you
have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you
have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out,
"Abba! Father!"

16 The Spirit Himself

testifies with our spirit
that we are children of God, 17 and if children, heirs also, heirs of
God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so
that we may also be glorified with Him.18 For I consider that the
sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with
the glory that is to be revealed to us.19 For the anxious longing of
the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. 20
For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but
because of Him who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself
also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom
of the glory of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole
creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until
now.
23
And not only this,
but also we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit, even we
ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as
sons, the redemption of our body.

24 For in hope we have been saved, but hope that is seen is not hope;
for who hopes for what he already sees? 25But if we hope for what we
do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it. 26 In the same
way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to
pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with
groanings too deep for words; 27 and He who searches the hearts knows
what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints
according to the will of God. 28 And we know that God causes all
things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who
are called according to His purpose. 29 For those whom He foreknew,
He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so
that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; 30 and these whom
He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also
justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified. 31What
then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against
us? 32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for
us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things?


Romans
8: 15-32 NASB



Again,
context is everything. When verse 29 is shown in the context of the
other verses it becomes clear that the writer is not discussing birth
order, but preeminence. Why go through the trouble of showing that we
are adopted into the Kingdom only to say we are begotten children?
Yeshua was very clear when discussing salvation with Nicodemus that
He was the only begotten Son. This was a direct reference to His
earthly birth and the divine nature of His conception. Yeshua had no
need for a spiritual rebirth as we need due to our sin nature. Yeshua
is specific that being "Born-again" is a birth of the spirit when
our new nature in Him is born.



While I
am sure that Cowboy will respond that this is simply religious talk,
brought upon by years if indoctrination in religion, he can be rest
assured that it had nothing to do with it. I have had a strong
disdain for most organized religion for some time. I have found that
most churches take a dim view upon someone who calls himself a
prophet and challenges the conventional wisdom. All of my
conclusions have been from seeking the Holy Spirit and asking for His
guidance. At one point I was even open to the idea that Cowboy could
be right, but the Spirit squashed that real quick.



I will
address some of the other things he has said but those are for
another post and another time.

6 comments:

heidi said...

Eagle,

I will be looking forward to hearing more from you along these lines. Thank you for your thoughtful presentation.

Blessings,
Heidi

Geppy said...

Good post Eaglewood. Might I offer one more thought?

Since Yeshua is the first-fruits and an example of what waits for us all, and since (as some of my Messianic brethren have taught me lately) the first-fruits is part of the Biblical feast-days, and since throughout the NT we are all part of the harvest (and our wheat is scattered among the tares - or vice versa). Maybe the "rebirth" is the resurrection itself. Jesus was the first fruits of the resurrection and brought with him many that were asleep to participate in that rebirth. At his return, those of us who have believed and are asleep will then participate in the culmination of our rebirth - as well as those who are alive and remain.

To me, this seems to explain the comparisons between Jesus and the rest of us as related to the re-birth and first-fruits. Especially since as you say, Jesus did not need a spiritual rebirth. (Rom 8:23 - "waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body.") Is not the redemption of our body and the resurrection the same event?

This is not to say that Jesus is not the only-begotten Son of the LORD. That, to me, is a totally different topic.

Thanks for the post!

eaglewood said...

Geppy,

I have thought some along those lines, while I think a good case could be made for the resurrection and "rebirth" being the same event, I am not totally sure it is. There is enough reference to our spiritual change before the resurrection that makes me second guess a theory such as that, but I could be wrong. One of my eventual goals is to learn more about the Torah from a Hebrew perspective. The more I listen to those who have the more I realize I am missing key information into the mindset of Yeshua.

Jimmie W. Kersh said...

Eaglewood,

The Hebrew mindset in the OT period and even the first century was divided about the concept of the resurrection of the dead and especially the body. The body in Hebrew mindset was always considered to be unclean and the soul was what was to be resurrected along with being given a NEW body because the old one was not clean.

I do not think I would put all of my eggs in any basket that proposed that the resurrection of the body is something glorious either. Since Jesus is the first of the resurrected bodies, and I hold strongly to that doctrinally because it is in the text, I would venture that there is something considerably different about his resurrected body and that of the two, Moses and Elijah at the Mt. of Transfiguration.

Yes He, Jesus, is the only inseminated, yes the greek there is rooted in the word sperm, Son of God. This is the careful and specific thing scripture teaches about Jesus. As adopted brothers and sisters in the Messiah, only those of us who are believers are given this NEW body. When applying the entirety of scripture it is vital to have a complete understanding of the NT through the OT.

As for something gloriously special about our new bodies, who really cares? Ultimately, isn't more important to get there to worship God than worry about what it is going to be like for us? All of my thoughts and $4.99 will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks too.

digitalcowboy said...

It's funny, eaglewood. When I said, "You can find the evidence in Romans 8:29, for one." I was specifically thinking about Colossians 1 as an additional source. You presented exactly the same texts that I would have and even highlighted some of the same portions I would have and then came to the opposite conclusion.

I think your "preeminence" theory is pretty thin. It seems like grasping at straws and playing with words to me.

Here's the deal: It was impossible for anyone to be born-again until Yeshua did it. You're mistaken that he was not in need of that experience. It was necessary for him because he was born a human and it would never have been possible for us if he had not done it first. (The latter being the reason he was born as a human in the first place.)

You're thinking of the born-again experience through the lens of religion. Sin was the cause of the problem but it's not the problem itself.

On the religion thing, I get where you're coming from of but I can tell you from experience that just seeing that it's wrong is not the end. It's the beginning and it takes YEARS to root out all of the false crap it taught you.

Geppy said...

cowboy,

Could you define what "born-again" means to you in this context?