It is funny how people earn and lose respect. I think that it is often looked for in all the wrong places. Yesterday’s Super Bowl is a perfect example of that. A lot was made of the fact that a certain superstar quarterback could not win the big game and therefore he did not have the respect other players of the same caliber gain much easier. Now that he has done that he has "earned" the respect of those in professional sports.
While I think that this is good and most of the sports media are covering it that way, I do not think that he or any other player deserves the highest respect. In all of the accomplishments in what was a mediocre game, the most noteworthy thing that happened was after the game was over. The owner Jim Irsay, and head coach Tony Dungy did not put the team and it ‘s accomplishments first. They put their Lord Jesus and the plight of others first. They made it very clear that what they did was done to the glory of their Lord and not just for personal glory. When Tony Dungy was pressed about the "social significance" (black coach) of his victory he downplayed the black coach aspect and said the most significant thing was the Christian way the organization was run. I have learned more about the way the Colts organization is run and the family first atmosphere that is promoted there. To me this shows that it does not have to be an all consuming drive that is needed to win on a professional level. While I will always remain a Cowboys fan, the Colts organization has gained a new fan, not just because they win games, but because they do it right.
5 comments:
Too often people only care about winning.
This team cared about how they did it.
Good point.
Yeah, I was impressed with the Colts' owner, too. If only the Falcons could be so lucky, instead of having that sleazy-lookin' greaseball Arthur Blank.
Not following football I had no idea about Tony & the owner. If I had I would have been rooting for them! Goes to show that God will bless those who put Him first. :-)
I was very impressed with the Colts. I wanted them to win the game because I have always liked Tony Dungy. Besides that, I am a Vikings fan and I didn't want "Superbowl Champions" hanging over the NFC North all next season.
I found myself accidentally watching the 700 Club last week. I was flipping through channels and stopped because of the football footage. Incredible how the sense of faith and Christianity runs through the entire organization. While it wasn't the reason I picked them to win, after revealing the nature of the organization after the win my wife accused me of cheating by holding back valuable info.
Post a Comment