There is a very dangerous teaching going on
in our churches today. It is the thought that we are never to judge, never to
render an opinion on whether or not something someone is doing is wrong.
While on the surface this seems like a good thing, it is the stepping
stone for all kinds of evil teachings to enter the church. We are to be ever
vigilant about the things being said and done around us and be willing to
render judgment about it. It always sets me on edge when I here someone
taking a verse about judgment out of context; or to scream about being
judgmental, or lacking tolerance.
I think that a lot of this teaching comes
from Romans chapter 14. In it is a discussion about not judging our brothers
who are weaker and not being a stumbling block to our weaker brothers.
The context was over what people ate but could be extrapolated to anything that
is not specifically a sin. The problem is when this is brought over into
the realm of unrepentant sin on the part of a believer.
You see the Word also teaches us to be
willing to be judged by the same measuring stick that we use to make a
judgment. Taking this kind of approach is humbling and in the true spirit
of His teaching and love. Yeshua judged those who were against Him and living
out sin in their lives, He did it in a loving way to those who were willing to
change and to those who were not willing he allowed them continue in their sin
knowing that eternal judgment would come, Yet he still judged them. The
scriptures teach us that we are not to make judgment lightly, but to make the
blanket statement that we are never to make a judgment about what is going on
in the world can lead us down a path right to the evil one just as assuredly as
making unwarranted judgments.
6 comments:
LOL @ Jimmie!
Good post, Eaglewood. I'm on a ladies forum that gets into some VERY heated debates over certain issues, and Rom. 14 gets dragged out a lot. Usually it's a good thing, but I can see what you are saying.
Man, doesn't the word 'tolerance" just make you cringe?
"Yet he still judged them."
Yes, HE did and does.
There are legal codes for those who break laws.
You shouldn't put those who don't have the faith in charge of churches.
But, most of all, you must shun them as Jesus did, or...
hmmm...
Could it be we are to reach out and render aid to the enemy?
Is there some crazy story about a Samaritan?
Is it possible that we can understand something is wrong, and yet not bring down wrath on them?
Does God do that?
He certainly seems to. Speaking from a personal perspective.
Of course, if you're all together, then smiting the enemy would seem like a good course of action.
I do not believe you are like that, though.
I believe that we have only one life to run.
The one God gave us.
Helping out others in their difficulties is a good thing.
Interesting, Jo. About tolerance. God does that with us all the time.
I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, just get us to think.
But I do understand where you're coming from.
Until then, "Tolerate as you wish to be tolerated."
Or you could take it a step further and forgive...
Roland, I think you may be confusing judgement with condemnation. Sin is sin, and is to be judged as such. Is homosexuality, or abortion sin? Of course it is. So let's say a young girl is about to have an abortion, and she's confused. Would you try and counsel her out of that sin, or just "tolerate" it. What would that Samaritan do? Save her from the sin? Well, you'd like to think so, but of course he'd have to judge it as such first, yes?
That non-judgemental thing is a bastardization of scripture used by the left as a shield to commit whatever with no recourse.
Dude, again, I see nothing in the post talking about any kind of punishment, except that doled out by God. If she chooses sin, she chooses sin. But in order to try to keep her from it, you first have to recognize it as such. That's all. Judgement is NOT condemnation. Two distinctly different things.
Roland,
Billy is right. judgment and condemnation are two different things. And how we deal with the person who sinned is determined by the actions of that person. Are they repentant? We also have a duty to follow biblical standards for confronting those with unrepentant sin in their lives. Always striving to bring them back into fellowship.
Do not ignore the sin, but remember that we are dealing with one of His loved creations. Not all things are cut and dried, not all things are simple. Sometimes love hurts.
All right. I see your point. Let's put it this way.
When someone fails (no matter what it is, for it makes no difference to God the offense) what should we do with that person? Repentance is great. That makes it easier. But, what if there's person who gets much authority, goes door to door and carries away to prison those who believe in Christ. Crazy as is sounds, he even advocates the death of many who believe. What should we do with someone like that? I'm talking as though this person is not repenting. Not yet anyway. What should we do with someone like that?
And when you figure out what God did with that guy, what should we do? Should we (and I quote), "be willing to be judged by the same measuring stick that we use to make a judgment."
To be honest, that scares me to no end. I believe in the unfathomable grace of God. He believed in me before I ever reciprocated. I think of how patient (fruit of the Spirit) He was with me, and try to express that same patience to others. Circumstances change the complexities of any given situation, no?
Post a Comment