Sunday, June 3, 2007

The Silent Witness

I have
been reading and participating in a discussion over at Heidi's over
the subject of home schooling vs. government schooling. The one
thing that keeps coming up and has got me thinking is concerning what
I call the silent witness. The one parent that has sent (and is a
strong proponent of) government education has consistently asked that
if we take all of the Christian children and home educate them when
will the other children hear about Jesus. The discussion went on to
discuss the fact that Christians, both students and teachers are
effectively muzzled by the government bureaucracy, so essentially
what witness they have is silent, and actions only. So here is my
question. Does it really work? Are people truly influenced to Yeshua
simply by our actions or do they need to hear the why behind our
actions as well? How people interpret our actions is my problem
here. How is a kind action seen as any more than a kind action. We
all are capable of making them without Yeshua in our lives. So what
makes the difference? What makes the person ask why?



The
whole concept of the silent witness bothers me. All we have to do is
show them how wonderful we are and they will come running and begging
to know why we are. That is not the great commission, it is a cop
out. The great commission tells us to take the message out to the
world, to TELL them of His love, His mercy, His grace, His sacrifice,
and His provision. I see nothing about hiding it until we are asked
why we are the way we are. I know I have been quite guilty of this
quite a bit especially at work, but things like this make me think
twice about staying silent.



I cannot
help but see this simply as the starting point. In order for a person
to understand the need for Yeshua's sacrifice and His love it will
have to be shared in words. If a teacher has his or her hands tied at
work, and students are consistently pushed to water down what they
say, how will the lost learn? How do we determine if our actions are
the right ones? The example given left me wanting and is what
prompted this post. A student skips school because he finds out that
Planned Parenthood is coming, and then tells his father why he
skipped school. This is touted as a strong witness. I am not
convinced. First he broke a rule, rather than go through the system.
I know there are ways to opt out for religious convictions. How is
this a strong witness? His classmates did not see an act of faith
they saw an act of defiance and lack of respect for authority with
religious conviction used as an excuse. How is that a good witness?
What did his classmates learn? Did they see Yeshua, or did they see
someone breaking the rules and getting away with it?




I hope
there is someone out there that can enlighten me.

5 comments:

Geppy said...

The silent witness is a tough topic. For children age levels, it is typically what is fallen back on due to the insecure nature we have as children. There are some children that are more secure in who they are and speak out more, but I was not one of them. :)

But, they are (and I was) able to talk about what they did with their church group this last week(end). They are able to talk about the cool concert that their church group went to and how much fun they had. Talking about Yeshua can come in many different forms, and the word gets out pretty quick that that kid is a "churchy" and believes in "God." Then the actions have significance, and the reason for the actions is automatically assumed.

Just because the school can limit what you say in class, they cannot limit what is said on the playground, lunch room, at the lockers, or after school activities. And witnessing does not need to take the form (always) of speaking how Jesus died on the cross. As long as the truth of God is spoken, God can use that to work on a person's heart.

I agree with you that breaking the rules and disobeying authority does not really provide a strong witness. But it is something that kids do. As long as it is not all the time, I would not worry about it too much - except to explain the biblical concept of submitting to authority.

heidi said...

Good points, Eaglewood. I believe my life should support what I'm saying and vice versa. We are commanded to always be ready to give a defense of our faith. What am I supposed to do, mime it? A silent witness may be all that is necessary. Yeshua was like "a lamb to the slaughter" which is not to say He did nothing. Although His very life was at stake He did speak up when it was necessary. He didn't get the attention of those who wished to kill him by walking around saying nothing. He made statements, taught the people and lived it all perfectly.

What exactly about my life is shown by my silent witness? Let's pretend I'm in school.

Teacher says, "Alternate lifestyles are to be explored and embraced."

I am silent, but sit up straighter in my chair and pray for her in my heart. In what way did my classmates benefit from my faith? They see good posture. Inspiring.

On the way to my next class I ask my fellow student if I can talk to them about Yeshua and they listen then go to the guidance counselor and complain I am trying to force my religion down their throat and isn't there supposed to be a division of church and state in the classroom? I am given a warning to keep my religious views to myself and not inflict them upon others.

So I walk nobly down the halls, feet barely touching the floor as I radiate good Christian values at the poor unsuspecting sinners groping each other, swearing and practicing debauchery all around me. I hope my halo doesn't blind them.

Or I buck the system, pretend to follow Yeshua and be a rebel, but in the very act of rebellion walk in sin.

It's a tough road. This decision to be silent. I think of the words of the prophet Jeremiah.
"But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot."

Shouldn't we be very concerned about believers who can be silent?

Roland said...

I agree that if we can we should. I bring up Christ at work, but not in an offensive way. I mention all the things in life that make it worth living. I use His name and am not ashamed. I homeschool. But more because I (more my wife here) can give my children the attention they need. Religious reasons are part of it, but not all of it.

"The great commission tells us to take the message out to the world, to TELL them of His love, His mercy, His grace, His sacrifice, and His provision." - Eaglewood

If all we do is share words and nothing more. It would be better to walk silently. Lest we look like hypocrites. I think James said something about this stuff. ;)

heidi said...

"If all we do is share words and nothing more. It would be better to walk silently."

Very well said. However, if the walk is truly there the words are never far away. And if the walk is true the words will be truth which can be very offensive no matter how you look at it. Although it should never be our intent to be offensive.

Argh. Enough caveats already!

:)

Liked what you said Roland!

Jimmie W. Kersh said...

Daniel was not silent. Shad Rack and Benny (veggie Tales) were not silent. Jesus was not silent. Moses was not silent. Ezra was not silent. David was not silent. Paul, definitely was not silent.

Silence deserves the actions of evil thrust upon it. Silence is not golden, unless you are the calf. Silence is deafening when believers fail to follow the command to make disciples.

Parents are spiritually responsible before God for the education of their children. If the Duet 6 passage is not being fulfilled by the parent, then they are guilty before God and their fellow man for being in rebellion against God and His word.

In terms of spiritual warfare, people who claim to be believers are sacrificing their children on the altar of foreign religions by having their children educated in a system which is completely and utterly sold out to humanistic relativism.

Spiritual rebellion against God is spiritual rebellion against God no matter how pretty we make it sound. Any time a parent commits spiritual infanticed against their children they are held accountable to God and their community of faith for the sin which is considered witchcraft, rebellion.