I do not often write reviews of books, but Summa Elvetica struck me as worthy of a review. It may come as a surprise to some but I like science fiction and fantasy novels. I really enjoy them when they have a Christian bent or worldview. So when I found out one of my favorite bloggers Vox Day was writing a new fantasy novel built around an analog of the catholic church I was excited. The book, which is now available for purchase, is published by a new publishing house called Marcher Lord Press is also available for free download from Vox's site.
Because I am cash-strapped, I downloaded his free e-book version when it came out, and I got quickly engrossed in the vibrant world of men, dwarves, and elves he was creating. Others have compared it to The Hobbit or to The Lord of the Rings, but I am not sure I am willing to go that far yet, but I can see the promise in his writing. Unlike other novels of this sort, I liked that he engaged the mind as the story line was more of a thinking man’s story than the typical slash and burn kill fests that so many fantasy novels turn out to be. The “hero” in the story is a mild mannered intellectual who aspires to be a priest. He is from the pampered upper class of a society much like the Roman empire, and has all of the advantages of being so. He could quite frankly be someone you would learn to dislike if not for his apparent innocence, humble attitude, and seeming keen insight into what is transpiring around him. This is part of the brilliance of the authors writing. He is able to take you into the world of his characters and have you see through their eyes and truly be there with them in their adventures and follies. You get the feeling you are right there with them as part of the group and actively involved as a fellow adventurer in what appears to be a well thought out complex world.
The vibrant world and engrossing characters also happen to be the problem with this book. He has built a world so engrossing so inviting and it seems the story is just really getting started and then it is over. The ending is so abrupt it is jarring, almost as if he had to hurry and finish the book before his deadline. The final battle seemed more like a skirmish, a prelude to the war to come so to speak. I really did enjoy this book right up until the end where it just seemed to go flat. All in all I would recommend reading this book and I would encourage the author to build upon this world he has created. It has the potential to become like The Hobbit if he does write more stories based upon this world, but if it is left alone as a single book then I would say the story is incomplete and leaves you wanting for more and in the end unsatisfying in fulfilling that want.
8 comments:
[...] Original post by On Wings of Eagles [...]
it would be best if you would consider running a literary review through a grammar/spellchecker before you posted it.
the most egregious error is the book title. "Summa Elvetica". two m's. there are more.
http://voxday.blogspot.com/2008/10/summa-elvetica-fourth-review.html
Duly noted Bob. It was sent through both a spell checker and a grammar checker as I use Word to write all of my posts. I can't believe I missed the most obvious one as I went back to make sure I spelled the second half of the title correctly.
My editor (aka. my wife) pointed out several grammar errors that Word did not see fit to point out and I was too tired last night to fix them and was out of town with no computer access all day today.
With that in mind was the criticism really necessary? This is a blog and I am not a professional writer. I did something because I felt compelled to, and as I pointed out I am not in the habit of writing book reviews.
The title of the book has been corrected and the grammar errors I could remember are as well.
Vox Day was writing a new fantasy novel built around an analog of the catholic church I was exited.
i sincerely doubt that the book "exited" you. the text may look arch but i'm grinning.
It was sent through both a spell checker and a grammar checker as I use Word to write all of my posts.
well then, i apologize for that comment. it is clear that Microsoft programs have some serious deficiencies. something you might want to keep in mind for more formal writing.
With that in mind was the criticism really necessary?
were it merely a "blog post" or some interplay on a bulletin board i would have ignored it.
but if you're attempting to give a favorable review of a book IT DOES NOT HELP YOUR PURPOSE to post text with serious errors in it. with a personage as controversial as Vox, the last thing you want is for naysayers to be heckling your review and, by extension, Vox's readers and works.
"HAha, those theists is sooooo stoooooopid" kind of crap. because that is what most of the adversarial readers will do.
further, as you are the owner of the blog i see no reason for you to leave my posts up. once the corrections have been made feel free to delete the posts altogether or edit the content out perhaps with a disclaimer something like "bob k. mando has asked for this message to be removed".
since all posts have to be cleared by a moderator before posting i'm somewhat surprised that you did post mine through.
Gee whiz, Bob. Lighten up, man.
I highly doubt that anyone is going to be critical of Summa Elvetica solely because of Eaglewood's spelling errors. Those who want to attack Vox will find a way, regardless of any misspellings on the part of another blogger.
Or, for that matter, regardless of any failures to capitalize letters by a commenter at a blog. ;)
bob... it doesn't behoove your attempts at intelligent discourse to create a comment which looks as though you were channeling e.e. cummings... methinks a few spelling errors are far less obtuse than an entire comment written exclusively in lowercase letters.
but i'm just sayin'...
In defense of Bob here I did go through and find several glaring errors. I should have read this on paper before I published it. Not that I think my little review is going to have much effect upon the views of Vox's detractors.
It was an exercise in fun for me as I do feel that there is potential in this story to go much further that the author has taken it.
Great review, Eaglewood. I see it pretty much the same way.
Post a Comment